What are Surgical Sealants?
Surgical sealants are medical products that are used to close wounds or seal tubes and other medical devices after surgery. They are usually made of a combination of natural and synthetic materials such as collagen, fibrin, and polyethylene glycol. These sealants are designed to prevent the leakage of fluids or gas, reduce the risk of infection, and speed up the healing process.
Overview of the Surgical Sealants Market
Growth of the global surgical sealants market is driven by factors such as increasing geriatric population, rising incidence of chronic wounds, increasing prevalence of trauma and sports injuries, and growing number of surgeries.
The global surgical sealants market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.4% during the forecast period, to reach $2.8 billion by 2025.
The market is segmented based on product type, application, end user, and geography.
Based on product type, the market is divided into albumin-based sealants, Fibrin sealants, hyaluronic acid-based sealants, collagen-based sealants, and others. The fibrin sealant segment is expected to account for largest share of the global market, followed by albumin-based sealants.
Based on application, the market is categorized into cardiothoracic surgery, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurological surgery, and others. The general surgery segment is expected to account for the largest share of the global market, followed by cardiothoracic surgery.
Based on end user, the market is divided into hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, and others. The hospitals segment is expected to account for the largest share of the global market, followed by ambulatory surgical centers.
Geographically, the market is divided into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA. North America is expected to account for the largest share of the global market, followed by Europe.
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases: The prevalence of chronic diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, respiratory diseases, neurological disorders, and cancer is increasing, and this is driving the demand for surgical sealants. Surgical sealants are used to close wounds or seal tissue in surgeries, and the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases has led to a larger number of surgeries, thereby increasing the demand for surgical sealants.
- Growing geriatric population: The geriatric population is growing rapidly worldwide, and this is driving the demand for surgical sealants. As the elderly population is more prone to chronic diseases and injuries, the need for surgical sealants is increasing, due to the fact that surgical sealants are used to prevent infection and seal wounds in surgeries.
- Technological advancements: The development of new technologies in medical devices such as tissue adhesives, sealants, and coatings has led to the growth of the surgical sealants market. Technological advancements such as biodegradable tissue sealants, bioabsorbable adhesives, and endoscopic sealants have led to the development of more effective and cost-efficient surgical sealants.
- Rising awareness about healthcare: The rising awareness about healthcare and the increasing number of healthcare facilities are also driving the demand for surgical sealants. The availability of advanced healthcare facilities and the rising awareness about the importance of healthcare is driving the demand for surgical sealants.
- Increasing number of government initiatives: The increasing number of government initiatives to reduce the cost of healthcare and make it more accessible to people is also driving the demand for surgical sealants. Government initiatives such as tax subsidies, healthcare reform, and insurance reforms have made it easier for people to access healthcare, and this has led to an increase in the demand for surgical sealants.
Market Restraintsof the Surgical Sealants Marke
- High cost of surgical sealants and associated procedures.
- Potential side effects associated with surgical sealants.
- Lack of reimbursement for the use of surgical sealants in certain countries.
- Regulations and guidelines for surgical sealants differ from country to country.
- Unawareness of new surgical sealants in the market.
Competitive Landscapeof the Surgical Sealants Market
The global surgical sealants market is highly competitive in nature due to the presence of numerous key market players. The major players are focusing on continuous product innovation and technological advancements to stay competitive in the market. Furthermore, strategic collaborations, partnerships, and acquisitions are the key strategies adopted by the key market players to strengthen their market presence.
Major players operating in the global surgical sealants market are:
Johnson & Johnson (Ethicon, Inc.) (US), Baxter International, Inc. (US), Becton, Dickinson and Company (US), CryoLife, Inc. (US), Cardinal Health, Inc. (US), B. Braun Melsungen AG (Germany), Integra Lifesciences Holdings Corporation (US), Medline Industries, Inc. (US), Adhezion Biomedical, LLC (US), Tricol Biomedical, Inc. (US), Vivostat A/S (Denmark), Advanced Medical Solutions Group plc (UK), Stryker Corporation (US), CSL Limited (Australia),and Ocular Therapeutix, Inc. (US)
Conclusion of the Surgical Sealants Market
The global surgical sealants market is expected to grow significantly during the forecast period, due to increasing technological advancements in medical devices and increasing demand for minimally invasive surgeries. The increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and diabetes, is likely to fuel the growth of the surgical sealants market. Moreover, increasing demand for hydrogel-based sealants and increasing awareness of the benefits of surgical sealants, such as tissue adhesion, rapid healing, and improved patient outcomes, is expected to drive the growth of the market. Additionally, the growing demand for advanced medical products from developing countries is anticipated to boost the growth of the market. However, the high cost of surgical sealants and the lack of awareness about surgical sealants in some regions are expected to restrain the growth of the market.
Download PDF Now to Know More about the “Surgical Sealants Market Size, Forecast, Growth Opportunities.