Seaweed protein is a type of plant-based protein derived from various species of seaweed or marine algae. Seaweeds are rich in protein content, making them a valuable and sustainable source of protein for human consumption. Some commonly used seaweeds for protein extraction include red algae (Rhodophyta), green algae (Chlorophyta), and brown algae (Phaeophyta). The seaweed protein market size is expected to reach US$ 1131 million by 2027, with a 14.1% annual growth rate. This booming industry is predicted to create ripples in the near future, with a value of $585 million in 2022.
Factors Driving the Seaweed Protein Market
- Increasing Demand for Plant-Based Proteins: The growing global trend toward plant-based diets and the increasing awareness of the environmental impact of traditional animal agriculture have driven the demand for alternative protein sources, including seaweed protein.
- Nutritional Benefits: Seaweed is rich in essential nutrients, including protein, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Consumers are increasingly seeking nutrient-dense and functional foods, contributing to the demand for seaweed protein.
- Sustainability and Environmental Concerns: Seaweeds are sustainable to cultivate as they require no arable land, freshwater, or synthetic fertilizers. The environmental benefits of seaweed cultivation, including carbon sequestration and support for marine ecosystems, align with the growing emphasis on sustainability in food production.
- Health and Wellness Trends: The perception of seaweed protein as a healthy and natural food ingredient has fueled its popularity. Seaweed is often associated with various health benefits, including immune system support, weight management, and improved cardiovascular health.
- Innovation in Food Products: Food manufacturers are incorporating seaweed protein into a wide range of products, such as plant-based burgers, snacks, noodles, and beverages. The versatility of seaweed protein in various applications contributes to its market growth.
- Research and Development Initiatives: Ongoing research and development efforts aimed at improving the extraction processes, taste, and texture of seaweed proteins are enhancing their market viability. Innovations in processing methods contribute to the development of high-quality seaweed protein products.
- Regulatory Support and Standards: Regulatory support and the development of standards for seaweed cultivation and processing in some regions encourage industry growth. Clear guidelines can promote consistency and quality assurance in seaweed protein products.
Request Custom Data to Address your Specific Business Needs: https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/requestCustomizationNew.asp?id=194056009
The food segment by mode of application is estimated to account for the largest market share of the seaweed protein market over the forecast period.
Because of the safety issues connected with synthetic components, demand for seaweed protein-based products is projected to grow significantly in the coming years. Natural food additives have a good impact on consumers health, which has increased demand for protein in food products. Most human applications, such as food, vitamins, and cosmetics, choose seaweed protein-based products since they have no negative consequences. The desire for natural antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents, plant proteins, and other secondary metabolites is likely to drive up demand for seaweed protein-based products. Other Applications like Semi-sweet biscuits, cereal bars, and breadsticks have all used seaweeds. The nutritional profile of wheat and pasta was also improved by seaweeds.
Leading organizations outlined:
The key players in this market include CP Kelco U.S., Inc. (US), Algaia (France), Algea (Norway), Qingdao Gather Great Ocean Algae Industry Group Co, Ltd (China), Qingdao Brightmoon Seaweed Co Group Co. Ltd (China), Cargill Incorporated (US) Gelymar SA (Chile), Ceamsa (Spain), BASF (Germany), Irish Seaweed (Ireland), Dupont Nutrition and Biosciences (US), Compo Expert Group (Germany), Beijing Leili Agricultural Co, Ltd (China), Groupe Roullier (France), Acadian Seaplants (Canada). These players in seaweed protein market are focusing on increasing their presence through agreements and collaborations. These companies have a strong presence in North America, Asia Pacific and Europe. They also have manufacturing facilities along with strong distribution networks across these regions.
Europe is projected to achieve the Highest CAGR growth in the Seaweed protein market.
The use of seaweed protein-based products in the pharmaceutical and nutraceutical industries has just increased as people become more aware of the nutritional value and benefits of eating seaweed. The European Commission, CINEA, and a consortium of EurA AG, EABA Systemiq, and Technopolis have developed EU4Algae, which is projected to stimulate demand for seaweed protein in Europe due to the growing health and environmental effect of eating meat products. The European Commission has identified seaweed protein as a major source of alternative protein for a sustainable food system and global food security. This three-year initiative will help Europe establish a regenerative, resilient, equitable, and climate-friendly algae business while also introducing new algae species to the market.
Schedule a call with our Analysts to discuss your business needs: https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/speaktoanalystNew.asp?id=194056009